Nail fungus can be difficult to live with and difficult to get rid of, but we’re here to help.
What is nail fungus?
Nail fungus is a contagious fungal infection that can affect the fingernails or toenails. The infection can turn the nail yellow or brown in colour, and it may become so thick that it is uncomfortable to wear shoes. Foul-smelling debris may get accumulated under the nail. The nail may crumble and eventually fall off. You can contract a nail fungus infection from almost anywhere, but warm and damp environments are the ideal grounds to catch one. Environments that many people visit, like public pools and gyms are also very high risk areas.
5 Tips to Avoid Nail Fungus
Thankfully, there are steps you can take to protect yourself from the dreaded nail fungus infections:
- Keep the feet and toenails clean and dry
- Don’t share socks, shoes or towels with others
- Wear at least sandals or flip flops when in public environments (such as shared showers)
- Only wear properly fitted footwear when exercising or actively moving
- Change your socks or shoes regularly to avoid sweat build up
How likely are you to contract nail fungus?
Even if you take all the necessary steps to protect yourself from foot fungus, you may still become infected. Certain people are predisposed to nail fungus, and have a higher chance of contracting it:
- Men vs. Women: Men contract nail fungus infections slightly more often than women.
- Diabetics & Older People: Many older people and diabetics suffer from poor circulation. This lack of circulation can prevent the body from effectively fighting off infections.
- Relatives of People with Nail Fungus: Fungus, although physically contagious, is in some cases hereditary.
- Athletes: Athletes and people who give trauma to their toe by wear tight-fitting shoes or tight hosiery are at great risk of toe nail fungus.
Non-invasive laser treatments are available to rid yourself of nail fungus. Oral drugs and prescription topicals may also aid in relieving your symptoms.
If you suspect that you have contracted a nail fungus infection, contact us today and book an appointment!